5.07.2009

Just For Fun

Ever have one of those days where you just need a good laugh? Well, bookmark these blogs for your next one-of-those-days:

The first one is a blog entirely devoted to beards. But not beards in a weird guy-thing kind of way (sorry guys), beards in an artsy kind of way. Erin, the beard-y blogger, makes beards of all kinds (along with other kinds of art) and seeks out other artsy beards to share on her blog. The whole blog just makes me smile and it gives me hope: There are really all kinds of things to specialize in. And, I admit it: I secretly want one of her beards. My favorite is the Lumberjack model.

The second one is the "blog" of "unnecessary" quotation marks, which devotes itself to quotation marks that are used for emphasis rather than to "set off and represent exact language (either spoken or written) that has come from somebody else," or to imply irony, as in air quotes (thank you to Purdue University's online writing resources page for this succinct, accurate, and duly quoted definition). Many a day-long laugh have I had over some of the posts on this blog.

And now I am just waiting for: "Who's Blog Is It, Anyway? - The Blog of the Improper Use of the Possessive." I think my friend, J. (you know who you are: Ribbon's and Rose's), should start that one up.

Have a laugh-y Friday.

3 comments:

ljchicago said...

The beard blog is awesome! Another one I like to check when I need a pick-me-up is cakewrecks.blogspot.com.

I think you forgot to mention that your friend L. had a submission posted on the quotation marks blog!

Anonymous said...

Where do you find this stuff, anyway. I know your friend J. and I also know about R & R. It was funny but sadly so.

Molly said...

LJchicago - you are so right. I forgot to mention your post. I am sorry about that. I will try to link to your post there sometime. &Thanks for your cakewrecks idea - I will check it out.

Dear Anonymous, I found the quotes one through my friend L., known on this blog as ljchicago. The other I discovered by reading a Patricia Marx (shopping guru) column in The New Yorker, which talked about the beards you could buy on Etsy.com. I had to check it out, and then stumbled on the beards blog.