12.01.2011

Thankful Thursday: Occupy Edition

public domain from wikimedia commons

It's Thankful Thursday, and today I am thankful for the Occupiers. I'm so glad people are protesting something in this country. I think it's long overdue. As I am not in a position to Occupy myself, I'm grateful to those who are making their voices heard.

Yes, it's true, peaceful protests disrupt cities and affect small businesses and produce waste and make things rather inconvenient. Yes, it's true that the Occupy movement's goals may not be all that clear. If you ask me, Congress is guilty of the same in both cases.

In fact, I think we should occupy the Capitol and refuse to leave until Congress starts working for the people instead of working for campaign contributions. Until Congress passes campaign finance reform, including legislation to reverse the Citizens United decision (yes, I realize some would interpret this as a corruption of the constitutionally established balance of power; however, I'm with the guy with the sign above). Until every member of Congress has tried to live and support a family on the average wage in this country, which is $41, 673.83.

Just sayin'.

4 comments:

drew said...

"Until every member of Congress has tried to live and support a family on the average wage in this country, which is $41, 673.83."


Yes, exactly!

And until every member of Congress has to pay their own health insurance!

CitricSugar said...

Hear, hear! They recently evicted the occupiers in our local park (they're afraid people will freeze to death now that it's dropped below zero) but I'm glad the movement continues. Corporations should not have more say in how a country is run than the people who live in it but that seems to be the case more and more.

Ms. WK said...

Preach.
I love it when you get political.

Molly said...

I always feel shy about getting political on this blog (and almost everywhere else in the world). But every now and then I just have to get on my soapbox :).