12.11.2011

Sunday Words: A belated birthday homage to Rilke

Last Sunday was the birthday of Rainer Maria Rilke, who is one of my all-time favorite poets (although, I confess, he had to grow on me at first). And here is one of my all-time favorite poems by Rilke, perfect for a Sunday, or for any day, if you ask me:

1

I live my life in growing orbits
which move out over the things of the world.
Perhaps I can never achieve the last,
but that will be my attempt.

I am circling around God, around the ancient tower,
and I have been circling for a thousand years,
and I still don't know if I am a falcon, or a storm,
or a great song.

-- from Das Stundenbuch

2 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Rilke had to grow on me as well. Not sure if it was the German in him or the religion in him that I had to get used to, but now I love him. Have you read some of his essays? I have a collection titled On Love and Other Difficulties that is something else.

Molly said...

Sandy, I've only read Letters to a Young Poet. I'll have to check out the essays you mention - thanks.