10.18.2009

Sunday Night Prayer

Here's a prayer for those of you who, like me, find that "the world is charged with the grandeur of God" (that's Gerard Manley Hopkins; read the whole poem here).


Song of Amergin

I am the wind that blows across the sea
I am the wave of the deep
I am the roar of the ocean
I am the stag of seven battles
I am the hawk on the cliff
I am a ray of sunlight
I am the greenest of plants
I am a wild boar
I am a lake on the plain
I am the word of knowledge
I am the point of a spear
I am the lure beyond the ends of the earth
I am the god who put fire in your head
Who made trails through stone mountains
Who knows the age of the moon
Who knows where the setting sun rests


Some believe the Song of Amergin is oldest surviving poem to be composed in Ireland. It was composed several hundred years before the birth of Christ (which technically makes it a pagan prayer, but since it's so beautiful, and since the world is charged with the grandeur of God, I'm hoping God won't mind).

[Photo credit goes to my dad: Sunrise over Torch Lake]

No comments: